Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Why We Should Be Concerned

The state of health care in this nation is abysmal at best. Our older citizens can't get basic health care and have to choose between eating and taking medecine. Those with chronic illness go ignored and untreated. And now this...this shocking evidence of the mistreatment of the mentally ill.

As many of you know, I'm a big mental health advocate. I believe in the mind-body connection, but more importantly I know firsthand what a mind gone awry can do to your life. So it is even more staggering for me to see this: a woman ignored and left to die in a hospital waiting room.

Of course I don't know the background or the setting really, but the story is upsetting. More likely than not, this was the only option this woman had--and she paid for it with her life.

Say what you may about socialized medecine, but people with socialized medecine don't die in waiting rooms.

0 comments: